Friday 20 November 2009

hyperstition feedback

Julia Usher wrote

I had lots of thoughts about Hyperstition, and enjoyed the very interesting talk with Paul afterwards .

I loved going in subterraneanally at the start, and it was quite awesome to get the warning about the dark etc.

Then I had a series of adjustments while I went round, or tried to sit ( at the start).

I somewhat regretted that the guests were a bit noisy, so that the atmosphere and music in particular was obscured at times.
As I mentioned, I also felt that we needed longer to adjust to it, and indeed, to start reading the ultraviolet pages in the dark,
instead of on the bus all the way home!

I early on decided I would create my own "safe distance" from objects and revelations, til I felt i could take it in;
so in the first room, I wasn't awed by the Magic Circle bits, and didn't study the objects - which I guess were the Schrodinger objects or whatever they were called.

But I did sit and watch the beautiful cardboard revolving light/shadow display, when fellow guests got out of the way.
Dan's music created a breathing atmosphere.

It was amazing to come into the big Slack Space, and take time to acclimatise, first to the "working laboratory " atmosphere of Costa cups and left meals,
along with more sinister experiments. Again, it was possible to take close note of the more ordinary earthly artefacts and clues, while keeping whatever
distance felt appropriate to the heavily disturbing side; at least until one had put oneself in Da Vinci Code sceptical mode.

I loved the big map, and the ultraviolet lines; especially the red laser that went in the wall and behind. the objects in filing cabinets;
all this I have seen at various times at the Venice Biennalle, and like very much.

The code symbol table was also intriguing.
The grotesques and formaldehyde jars, with stem cell research could touch a bit nearer, and was naturally uncomfortable.

Stuart's music was hugely effective, and full of the mystery the installation needed; I thought it contributed very much to the atmosphere.
It worked so well in the space; I was at just the right place in the room when one of the "music of the sphere" sections came through.

I was very amused by the 14 page brief, with its learned tone and research-based references; it was so convincing, and you only slipped in learned tone
a couple of times......Hilariously funny at the end where the VAF is revealed as a cosmic analyser of some kind. If only.

Astonishing that it was uninfluenced by Depot. I liked both in different ways.

The detail and intricate "research" behind this one was different from Depot - where I most liked the slow participation in what someone recently called the "oppressed" people
of Colchester; and the vast size of the space.

For Hyperstition, what is fascinating is the level of elaborate and painstaking "research" behind this one;
and the systematic transformation of Slack Space, a true Installation.

Just a cautionary thought from me. More a wondering speculation. What is the effect of the subject matter on the artists, when you pore over so much dark stuff for months; dreaming up and disturbing and unsettling material. I think in a way the stem cell bits, and the gentler archaeology reality, including beautiful doorways,
kept the feet on the ground; and there are three sentences or so in the long blurb about our not being able to comprehend the universe from our narrow earthly view, which
is definitely what I believe.

Thank you all for a very surprising and memorable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment